30 May Parcel Couriers… Packing Hints and Tips
Here are some hints and tips to help towards a successful delivery:
- Assess the level of protection provided by the box, ensuring that the shipment is fully protected from crushing, bursting, or denting. Use a carton made of high quality corrugated cardboard (preferably double walled) to ensure strength, durability and protection.
- We suggest considering an additional layer of card in between various layers of products, or alternatively some void fill materials. This will improve damage limitations.
- Choose the correct size of carton to match the contents – under-filled boxes are likely to collapse, and over-filled to burst open. We’re happy to discuss your requirements, and provide samples to enable you to choose the best fit.
- When putting the carton together, use strong tape to ensure the base is secure and will not come open in transit. We recommend a solvent grade of tape. The H-taping method (shown below) is the best way to secure your box at the seams.
- Fill all spaces in your package with a suitable filler such as polystyrene chips or even shredded paper.
- Use clear and accurate addressing-make sure the recipient’s name, address and post code are clearly written on the parcel. We recommend “Documents Enclosed” wallets to neatly and securely include all the relevant paperwork.
- Put fragile goods in the centre of a package; ensuring they don’t touch the sides. Your item should be well cushioned on all sides.
- If your item is breakable, use “fragile” tape. The use of tape like this won’t mean that your parcel is treated more carefully than others, but it may remind the driver in particular, to be that extra bit cautious when lifting it in and out of the van.
The advice is for guidance only and it is the responsibility of the person(s) sending the parcel to make sure that the items are securely and correctly packaged.
For advice on your packaging contact [email protected]